This team is all about a stud point guard and a bunch of spare parts. If its big free agent doesn’t re-sign with the team, the New Orleans Hornets could be one of the more unappealing NBA teams for fantasy owners. With nearly half of its roster on the market, the Hornets will be a team to monitor whenever the league resumes.
PG: Chris Paul, Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks*
SG: Marco Belinelli**, Willie Green*
SF: Trevor Ariza, Quincy Pondexter, Patrick Ewing Jr.
PF: David West*, Carl Landry*, Jason Smith*, David Andersen
C: Emeka Okafor, Aaron Gray*, DJ Mbenga*
* unrestricted free agent
** restricted free agent
Relevant fantasy players and their projected draft positions/per-game stats:
- Chris Paul, PG (Rd. 1): 48% FG, 85% FT, 1 Three, 18 Pts, 4 Reb, 10 Ast, 2.3 Stl, 2.5 TO
- David West, PF (Rd. 5): 50% FG, 85% FT, 18.5 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 1 Stl, 0.8 Blk, 2 TO
- Trevor Ariza, SG/SF (Rd. 8): 40% FG, 70% FT, 1.3 Threes, 13.5 Pts, 5.5 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 1.7 Stl, 0.5 Blk, 2 TO
- Emeka Okafor, C (Rd. 9): 55% FG, 57% FT, 12 Pts, 10 Reb, 0.5 Ast, 0.7 Stl, 1.7 Blk, 2 TO
- Marco Belinelli, SG (Rd. 13+): 43% FG, 80% FT, 1.5 Threes, 10 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 1 Ast, 0.5 Stl, 1 TO
- Jarrett Jack, PG/SG (Rd. 13+): 40% FG, 85% FT, 0.3 Threes, 9 Pts, 2 Reb, 2.5 Ast, 0.5 Stl, 1 TO
Most likely to surprise:
Most likely to disappoint:
- Threes: Belinelli
- Steals: Paul, Ariza
Things to consider:
- Paul’s health
- West’s free-agency status
- Who the Hornets can re-sign and add to their roster
Team’s statistical NBA ranks from 2010-11:
- Pts: 27th
- FGM: 26th
- FGA: T-26th
- FG%: 18th
- FT%: 15th
- 3PTM: T-22nd
- Reb: T-24th
- Ast: T-21st
- TO: T-1st
- Stl: T-8th
- Blk: T-20th
- Pace: 29th
- Offensive Efficiency: 19th
- Defensive Efficiency: T-8th
Throughout the season, be sure to leave your questions, comments, concerns, trade offers, roster problems and more in the comments below.
Follow Jason on Twitter at @fbasketballblog.
Follow Dime on Twitter at @DimeMag.
Become a fan of Dime Magazine on Facebook HERE.